ICCO Cooperation will be holding a press conference for the new EU-funded project on “Empowerment and Parents Leadership towards inclusive society for children with disabilities”
Date: 22 May 2017
Time: 9.00 - 11.00
Venue: Serena Hotel, 14 Rudaki Avenue, Dushanbe, Tajikistan
The goal of the press conference is to inform the public about the official start of the project.
Main objective of the project is to contribute to enhancing respect for human rights and the fundamental freedoms of children with disabilities (CWD) in Tajikistan guided by both the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD) and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UN CRC) and building more inclusive and equitable society where they can live in dignity.
This action’s specific objectives include:
• To shape an effective civic coalition to promote the rights of children with disabilities by strengthening National Coalition of Parents Association
• To increase participation and representation of CWD and their parents in decision making processes through building platforms
• To combat and reduce societal stereotypes, prejudices and harmful practices relating to CWD.
The expected results are:
• National Coalition of Parents Association with 34 member organizations, and 10 NGOs will have enhanced capacity to protect and promote CWD’s rights and social inclusion.
• National Coalition of Parents Association have strong personal and institutional capacities and skills for the enforcement of social inclusion of CWD
• The number of discriminatory practices towards social inclusion of CWD reduced, positive cases documented and widely disseminated.
The project will be implemented over a period of 3 years in 2 districts of Sughd oblast (Istaravshan town and Gafurov district) and Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Final direct beneficiaries of the Action are 2500 children with disabilities and their parents in the target sites and 26000 CWD in Tajikistan as indirect beneficiaries.
The project is funded by the European Union and will be implemented by ICCO Cooperation in partnership with the Public Fund "Fair Sustainable Development Solutions" (Kyrgyzstan), the Association of Parents of Disabled Children (ADDC) and thePF Parents of Children with Development Problems (PCPD) (Tajikistan).
The FSDS is an organization working in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan on the issues of disability, migration, social entrepreneurship and rural development. The APDC is working on child disability for more than 10 years providing support for 2800 families with CWD. The PCPD is a regional public organization based in Khujand with the main goal of raising awareness of parents of CWD on legal, social, economic, political issues related to CWD and protecting the rights of their children at the local and national levels.
Representatives of Ministries and government agencies, mass media, donor organizations and other stakeholders are kindly invited.
For more information please contact
Aichurek Zhunusova, Communications Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Aigul Joldosheva, Project Manager, email@example.com